One of my favourite hobbies when abroad is noting the “English” / “Engrish” t-shirts my hosts wear. I can’t ignore them, and it can be awkward, staring at someone’s chest trying to work it out (often with this face):
Nonetheless, especially when travelling alone, it helps me keep a smile on my face as I explore.
Below I’ve collected some of the best odd t-shirt slogans I’ve seen: from Indonesia, India, Bolivia, and Peru. They’re a little bit sweary, and my very favourite of all time, at the bottom, is definitely NSFW.
The most common theme is inspirational:
- “Whoever you are, be a good one” – Abraham Lincoln
- Be a trueheart, not a follow
- All the best things are wild and free
But we also get arrogant:
- It is safe to assume I have mad skillz
- I handle wild animals for a living. I am running try to keep up.
- If I were the UK, I’d never let EU go
Indonesia. I wish I had seen this in a shop so I could have bought six.
- BOLLOCKS TO THE EMPIRE
India. Considering it used to be part of the British empire, I thought it was surprisingly salient.
- BEND OVER. HERE COMES YOUR STIMULUS PACKAGE.
- U think free coffee is gr8?
- OH CHEESE
India — actually, I can think of lots of my friends who’d like this t-shirt.
- I bite through the big wall, I sit there and sulk, you’re so pretty when you’re on you’re your
Indonesia. Matt and I actually stopped and stared at this in the street.
- Hongouts Style Be your true self Quality! Fuck off!
Indonesia. Not as bad but up there?
- Bearing / They hate me don’t they? / Good egg
India. Oh dear.
- Fashion for girls
- Girly appliqué t-shirts various designs to choose from
- TEXT HERE
- KURT COBAIN lines from Nirvana songs
And then sexual.
- Never too young to love.
- Lost my hat — and my BIG COCK
South America. Okay.
- I’m not a nut… but I can screw well.
India, on a serious looking middle-aged man.
This, after careful consideration, is my favourite innocent slogan of all time, seen in Leh, India:
I Have Intense Failings For You
And here is my favourite slogan of all time.
It is one of my greatest regrets that I didn’t buy it.